At this time of year, kids going back to school brings excitingly new ambitions, and changes in a household. It can also become overwhelming to those trying to create new routines and make healthier choices. Trying to adjust to a schedule again, getting to after school programs, and having dinner ready all the at same time can be daunting. Not to mention when you still need to prepare your kids lunch for tomorrow and you want to give your kids the best to support their fast growing bodies.
Now I don't have children, but watching all of my siblings with their kids, trying to get them school ready makes them look like super humans! To make your life a smidge easier I have created an easy 20 minute snack that will get your family through the week for a healthy snack that is lunch box safe, and kid approved. The perfect power bar to keep everyone on the go. You just might be sneaking them into your lunch box too!
Lunch Box Granola Bar
Yield: 12 bars
1 Cup Toasted Pecans, toasted
1 Cup Almonds, toasted
1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup pepita seeds ( pumpkin seeds)
1/4 Cup cried cranberries (unsweetened), chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup almond or peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate drizzle (optional)
1/3 cup chocolate
1 tbsp. avocado oil
1. Toast nuts on cookie sheet in an oven preheated at 350' F
2. In a large bowl, combine the dried ingredients, and stir in the cooled nuts (chopped)
3. In a small sauce pan stir together brown rice syrup, almond/peanut butter, and vanilla
4. Pour liquid ingredients in and mix evenly (it should be thick and difficult to stir)
5. In an 8x8 pyrex dish cover bottom with parchment paper for easy lifting when you are ready to cut up the bars.
6. Spread mixture out evenly.
7. Melt chocolate with avocado oil in a dish in the microwave, and mix well. Put in a ziplock bag and push it all to one corner. Cut a very tiny hole in the tip and drizzle chocolate across the bars.
8.Put in fridge for about 10 minutes before pulling to cut into bars.